Midwest Food Bank - Georgia Division
Our congregation supports this organization that serves over 130 non-profit service organizations in 35 counties in Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama. Each month volunteers from Word of God participate in “Load Out” day by registering, picking products, loading vehicles, and praying with the agencies. We have also bagged and packed cases of emergency supplies used by the Salvation Army. According to their website, "Every month, we have dedicated 12 days for distribution or “load-out.” During load-out days, agency partners come to pick up food and additional products that may be available. Partners then return to their communities to distribute the food and products to those in need. 30 of Midwest Food Bank Georgia's partner agencies are served from a remote monthly distribution in Morristown, TN."
In addition to volunteering, Word of God also provides quarterly monetary funding to help with transporation costs at Midwest Food Bank.
For more information: https://www.midwestfoodbank.org/
Faith Comes by Hearing is a ministry that we support financially as a congregation. Among other things, they provide Bible Sticks to American soldiers in the field. The Military BibleStick is a digital audio player that is pre-loaded with a dramatized recording of the entire New Testament and over 65 minutes of select Psalms.
For more information: https://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/
Disabled Children's Fund
Word of God provides monetary funding to Disabled Children's Fund. Disabled Children's fund help children in India as well as children of our wonderful veterans. This organization advocates for the rights of disabled children and humanitarian foreign aid.
In India they have continued to help disabled children and their families. In doing so, they have brought several souls to Christ. They have completed baseline assessments and treatment plans for 26 children. They have provided respite periods for family member/caregivers (unheard of in the non-Western world). One of their team members visited India in January 2020, and identified needs for additional help for the children, e.g., wheelchair ramps children’s homes, and referrals to specialists such as speech pathologists.
Disabled Children of our Veterans receive help through their partnership with the Defense Department’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP). https://www.militaryonesource.mil/family-relationships/special-needs/special-needs-resources/
For more information: http://disabled-child.org/
To Donate: https://disabled-child.org/operations-group/
Lutheran Military Veterans & Family Ministries, Inc.
Word of God works with Lutheran Miliary Veterans and Family Ministries by providing monetary funding so they can "Help veterans let go of their past, engage in the present, and have hope for the future." They have two main missions: Direct Care and Training/Assistance for civiilian caregivers.
Per their website:
1. Provide free counseling, general assessments, assistance with obtaining care and resources necessary to the veteran, their family members, as well as military contractors. LMVFM does not provide clients with financial resources, but we do assist our veterans with obtaining the resources they need.
2. Unlike the VA who actively exclude many veterans who do not meet specific economically driven criteria, LMVFM serves any veteran who comes to us in need. If a person has served one or more days in uniform or as a member of the military contracting community, they as well as their family members are eligible for our care.
Training and Assistance for civilian caregivers
1. We provide training programs for civilian care providers, therapists, counselors, clergy, and just about anyone that wants to be better equipped to work with veterans and their families.
2. We provide members, congregations, groups and other supporters with the most current information on a wide range of issues that affect our military community members. Much of the information reported on by the press is grossly inaccurate and unfortunately driven by the political agenda which has found its way into the media “spin-cycle” of the DoD public affairs office.
3. We assist congregations in the development of their mission outreach programs to veterans and their families.
4. We provide resources to congregations and groups regarding various military issues.
For more infomration: https://lmvfm.org/
To Donate: https://lmvfm.org/funding/
North American Lutheran Seminary (NALS)
Word of God Lutheran church is proud to provide finacial support to one or two seminary students each year. The NALS website details their mission and vision for their calling:
"In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we are forming pastors and church leaders for the North American Lutheran Church who will faithfully preach, teach, and live God’s eternal truth, through Word and Sacrament, proclaiming Christ’s cross and resurrection, making disciples who will renew and grow the church in Christ’s name.
As students, faculty, and staff we seek to live out the reign of God together, proclaiming his lordship and his desire for all people to know his eternal love for them." (https://www.thenals.org/index.php/mission-and-vision/)
For more infomration: https://www.thenals.org/
NALC Disaster Response Fund
The North American Lutheran Church’s Disaster Response Fund provides resources for domestic disasters to respond rapidly when domestic natural disasters occur, alleviate human suffering, provide transitional assistance, and enable those affected to begin the rebuilding process. Disasters in 2020 included tornadoes, hurricanes, wildfires, floods, and COVID 19 relief. The NALC’s Disaster Response Coordinator works cooperatively with and through local NALC congregations and members, as well as other compatible disaster relief organizations such as LCMS Disaster Response. They accept financial donations, disaster kits (baby care kits, flood buckets, health kits, school kits), blankets, quilts, Bibles and gifts cards (Home Depot, Lowe’s, Walmart).
Word of God supported this organization with a financial contribution to get funds as quickly as possible to multiple disasters created by hurricanes, wildfires and tornadoes in the fall of 2020.
For more Information: https://thenalc.org/nalc-disaster-response/
To Donate: https://thenalc.org/giving/